Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Paul wrote me a letter.....



I hesitate publishing this note....Paul has worked so hard to get to this point. But as you can tell he has miles to go!

It is wonderful that he has gotten to the point of making letters and trying to form words.
He even paid close attention to addressing the envelope...making sure to scratch out the SI mailing address.
Paul looks at this note and sees just what he intended to write.
It surprises him that I can't read it.

I have spent 30 minutes trying to find out what he intended to write. I have to ask 'yes' & 'no' questions. It's tough for Paul to answer with only one word or head shake. So he breaks out in a series of when, when, wheeeennnn....when when?
"Nope, honey, I don't understand, I have to ask you yes and no questions".
Then it's back to whens....................

The closest I can come to what he wants to tell me....just a note about everyday things............

At times I'm numb with grief.......
.................................................................................................................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear "Linda the Flaming Redhead",
As a football fan who eagerly devoured every word written by the great Dr. Z, I have followed this incredibly difficult journey you have both been on over these last months with a heavy heart. I check your site regularly, hoping for progress, for any sign of good news for you both and I fervently wish, with all of my heart, for a full recovery for Paul. I'm just a fan of his work and the personality that shows through it; I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this must be for people who know and love the two of you. Thank you for all the hard work you have done to this point and I hope that your efforts will be rewarded very, very soon.
Sincerely,
Brian Lehigh

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Remember when you were 13 and you wrote "I love Tommy, I love Tommy, I love Tommy...." on everything you could write on? I'm pretty sure that that's what Paul is writing. "I love Linda. Linda is amazing. Linda is an angel....."

You are and he does. I know that's what he's writing.

You are amazing. You both are. And loved by many.

Katherine

Unknown said...

Hi, Linda,

I have always imagined that Paul writes quickly; it flows out as conversation. I know that is unfair: I bet he is very careful with skilled choices made. Anyway, if reading his columns is like following someone drive in fifth gear, this is like watching someone revving with the clutch down. A powerful engine still turning over -- and, someday soon, hopefully, that mental energy will help him break through, back into gear.

We are so blessed that you are willing to share.